Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) - updated
BlueScope has published a range of Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) providing transparency for the environmental impacts of our products. The EPDs are published under the EPD Australasia Programme and are aligned with the EPD standard EN 15804:2012+A2:2019.
An Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) is a third party verified and registered document that communicates transparent data and other relevant environmental information about the life-cycle environmental impacts of a product.
BlueScope's EPDs are expressions of our strong commitment to environmental transparency and reflect our focus on product stewardship and broader commitment to sustainability. Unlike industry-average EPDs, all BlueScope's EPDs provide information that is specific to our products.
EPDs are available to download for the following BlueScope products:
- Hot rolled coil1
- XLERPLATE® steel1
- Welded Beams and Columns1
- COLORBOND® steel for roofing and walling1
- COLORBOND® Coolmax® steel1
- COLORBOND® steel Metallic1
- COLORBOND® Ultra steel1
- COLORBOND® Intramax® steel1
- COLORBOND® steel for insulated panels1
- DECKFORM® steel1
- GALVABOND® steel2
- GALVASPAN® steel1
- TRUECORE® steel1
- ZINCALUME® steel1
How do I use an EPD?
BlueScope EPDs can be used to help support whole of life assessments for end uses such as buildings, infrastructure and their components, as well as everyday materials. Using EPDs in the context of a life cycle assessment (LCA) for a whole structure or development can help enable better environmental optimisation in the built environment by providing transparent information about the environmental impact of a product.
For a number of products including COLORBOND® steel for roofing and walling, COLORBOND® Coolmax® steel, ZINCALUME® steel, GALVASPAN® steel and TRUECORE® steel, our EPDs now include information about the rollforming process, to provide indicative results for the final formed product. This further information supports customers by providing more detail relevant to the products specified/purchased, aligned with industry demand for greater transparency.
Use of EPDs in rating tools
EPDs may contribute to the achievement of credit points under Green Star rating tools, the Infrastructure Sustainability (IS) Rating and other leading green building rating schemes. Please refer to the STEEL SELECT® article, Green Building rating tools and schemes, for more information on how BlueScope products may help obtain points under these schemes.
- At select base metal thicknesses (BMTs). Please refer to the corresponding EPD for the full details of the products covered
- At zinc coating classes Z100, Z200 and Z275 and select base metal thicknesses (BMTs). Please refer to the GALVABOND® steel EPD for the full details of the products covered.
- The rollforming results may not be representative of the final formed product from any particular rollforming operation, company or site. Please refer to the relevant EPD for further detail.
- Download BlueScope Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs)
- If you'd like to know more about BlueScope's EPDs, please complete the form below to register your interest and someone from the BlueScope team will be in touch.